a closer shave
h***@ccanoemail.com
2024-04-01 14:02:13 UTC
At last ! A new and improved shaving razor.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/afd/veritas-classic-double-razor?utm_campaign=485198_Apr1-ProdFeature-All-AprilFoolsDay-CA&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Lee%20Valley&dm_i=6EER,AEDQ,1IVKJH,1HPNA,1

Be sure to watch the little video and
click the More Infomation button.

John T.
Kerr-Mudd, John
2024-04-01 16:59:40 UTC
On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 10:02:13 -0400
Post by h***@ccanoemail.com
At last ! A new and improved shaving razor.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/afd/veritas-classic-double-razor?utm_campaign=485198_Apr1-ProdFeature-All-AprilFoolsDay-CA&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Lee%20Valley&dm_i=6EER,AEDQ,1IVKJH,1HPNA,1
Be sure to watch the little video and
click the More Infomation button.
John T.
It's my belief that this post was made on the 1st of April.
I didn't watch the video, but did go to the website with the instructive
pictures, notably of the 'blades projecting too much' FAQ.
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
John Williamson
2024-04-01 17:19:36 UTC
Post by h***@ccanoemail.com
At last ! A new and improved shaving razor.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/afd/veritas-classic-double-razor?utm_campaign=485198_Apr1-ProdFeature-All-AprilFoolsDay-CA&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Lee%20Valley&dm_i=6EER,AEDQ,1IVKJH,1HPNA,1
Be sure to watch the little video and
click the More Infomation button.
John T.
It's my belief that this post was made on the 1st of April.
I didn't watch the video, but did go to the website with the instructive
pictures, notably of the 'blades projecting too much' FAQ.
There is a clue in the page title... "Apr1-ProdFeature-All-AprilFoolsDay-"

I have to applaud the guy's straight face in the video.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
h***@ccanoemail.com
2024-04-01 19:21:14 UTC
Post by h***@ccanoemail.com
At last ! A new and improved shaving razor.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/afd/veritas-classic-double-razor?utm_campaign=485198_Apr1-ProdFeature-All-AprilFoolsDay-CA&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Lee%20Valley&dm_i=6EER,AEDQ,1IVKJH,1HPNA,1
Be sure to watch the little video and
click the More Infomation button.
John T.
It's my belief that this post was made on the 1st of April.
I didn't watch the video, but did go to the website with the instructive
pictures, notably of the 'blades projecting too much' FAQ.
There is a clue in the page title... "Apr1-ProdFeature-All-AprilFoolsDay-"
I have to applaud the guy's straight face in the video.
Some of their other special April 1 product releases
can be seen here :

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/afd

One of them actually made it into production and is
still a catalog item.
< I bought several of them when I worked there >

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/marking-and-measuring/tapes/65359-lee-valley-story-tape?item=99W7850

John T.
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
2024-04-01 17:28:01 UTC
Post by h***@ccanoemail.com
At last ! A new and improved shaving razor.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/afd/veritas-classic-double-razor?utm_campaign=485198_Apr1-ProdFeature-All-AprilFoolsDay-CA&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Lee%20Valley&dm_i=6EER,AEDQ,1IVKJH,1HPNA,1
It's my belief that this post was made on the 1st of April.
Well AprilFoolsDay in the URL is a bit of a giveaway.
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
I didn't watch the video, but did go to the website with the instructive
pictures, notably of the 'blades projecting too much' FAQ.
Chattering blades looks to be less than fun TAAAW.

Ah well this shaving lark is a barberic practice best avoided.
--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Whate're is best administered is best - Alexander Pope
Nicholas D. Richards
2024-04-01 19:02:21 UTC
Post by Ahem A Rivet's Shot
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
I didn't watch the video, but did go to the website with the instructive
pictures, notably of the 'blades projecting too much' FAQ.
Chattering blades looks to be less than fun TAAAW.
Ah well this shaving lark is a barberic practice best avoided.
WRT the barbaric practice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68691987

In the time of the Crimean War nobody thought that there was anything
wrong with bearded soldiers.

Of course the Pioneer Sergeant of Infantry was expected to wear a full
set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_sergeant

see History and Traditions.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
John Williamson
2024-04-01 20:16:44 UTC
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Ahem A Rivet's Shot
Ah well this shaving lark is a barberic practice best avoided.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68691987
In the time of the Crimean War nobody thought that there was anything
wrong with bearded soldiers.
Of course the Pioneer Sergeant of Infantry was expected to wear a full
set.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_sergeant
see History and Traditions.
When I were in the Terriers,the reason for banning beards was given as
to improve the seal round your gas mask. I assume with the full Noddy
suits, that is no longer a promble.

I assume that them on the oggin and the fly-by-nights were not
expectedto be attacked that way, so beards were and are optional.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Nicholas D. Richards
2024-04-01 22:52:55 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Ahem A Rivet's Shot
Ah well this shaving lark is a barberic practice best avoided.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68691987
In the time of the Crimean War nobody thought that there was anything
wrong with bearded soldiers.
Of course the Pioneer Sergeant of Infantry was expected to wear a full
set.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_sergeant
see History and Traditions.
When I were in the Terriers,the reason for banning beards was given as
to improve the seal round your gas mask. I assume with the full Noddy
suits, that is no longer a promble.
I cannot remember the detail anymore or who was involved, but as I
remember it the abandonment of beards in the army had something to do
with the prejudices of a senior officer. This was somewhere around the
end of the 19th century. Of course the British Indian Army did allow
Sikh members to wear beards.

There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
Post by John Williamson
I assume that them on the oggin and the fly-by-nights were not
expectedto be attacked that way, so beards were and are optional.
Those on the oggin are frequently trained and practice at fighting
fires on board ships, in confined spaces, at sea. The fire fighters wear
respirators. WW1 and WW2 submarines are particularly difficult spaces;
most crews had a high percentage of non-shavers, while at sea.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Tease'n'Seize
2024-04-02 14:19:21 UTC
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
Peter
2024-04-02 14:24:22 UTC
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I can't remember the look of myself without a beard. 'twas April 1969 when I
started it.
--
Peter
-----
Nicholas D. Richards
2024-04-02 15:07:54 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I can't remember the look of myself without a beard. 'twas April 1969 when I
started it.
June 1967 here.

The drairhesser trims it every 4 weeks. The first time she trimmed it
she did so with trepidation having never done so before. She only told
me after 15 years of trimming my beard.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
2024-04-02 15:07:23 UTC
On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:24:22 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Peter
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I can't remember the look of myself without a beard. 'twas April 1969
when I started it.
Yours is about a decade older than mine but I also do not recall
what I looked like without it. I do recall it being a different colour
thobut.
Nicholas D. Richards
2024-04-02 15:54:58 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I can't remember the look of myself without a beard. 'twas April 1969 when I
started it.
How times have changed. In the sixties and seventies going shaveless
was a subject of comment, often not very pleasant comment.

Today I doubt if anyone would say anything at all. It is a long time
since anyone has made a derogatory comment about my set.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Peter
2024-04-02 20:26:43 UTC
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Peter
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people
who are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I can't remember the look of myself without a beard. 'twas April 1969
when I started it.
How times have changed. In the sixties and seventies going shaveless
was a subject of comment, often not very pleasant comment.
Today I doubt if anyone would say anything at all. It is a long time
since anyone has made a derogatory comment about my set.
I grew mine while I was doing oceanography on Discovery. When I got home,
SWMBO-to-be said "oh, you can keep that". So I did.
--
Peter
-----
h***@ccanoemail.com
2024-04-02 21:09:40 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Peter
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people
who are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I can't remember the look of myself without a beard. 'twas April 1969
when I started it.
How times have changed. In the sixties and seventies going shaveless
was a subject of comment, often not very pleasant comment.
Today I doubt if anyone would say anything at all. It is a long time
since anyone has made a derogatory comment about my set.
I grew mine while I was doing oceanography on Discovery. When I got home,
SWMBO-to-be said "oh, you can keep that". So I did.
For many years - my 20s - 40s - it was - grow a beard for winter -
- shave it off for summer. A common and practical practice
here in southern Canuckistan, where one really does not want
a beard in muggy July - August.
" You look younger ! " was the Spring refrain.
The 'stash has remained throughout, but mine is always
a shameful thing when compared to my grandfather's ...

https://imgur.com/a/MLZrloP

John T.
Richard Robinson
2024-04-03 10:45:38 UTC
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Peter
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I can't remember the look of myself without a beard. 'twas April 1969 when I
started it.
How times have changed. In the sixties and seventies going shaveless
was a subject of comment, often not very pleasant comment.
Today I doubt if anyone would say anything at all. It is a long time
since anyone has made a derogatory comment about my set.
I still get "Oi, Santa Claus" from time to time. But I don't have to
start wondering if it's time to run. ~11 months of the year I can just
tell them I'm on holiday and going incognito so it'd be polite to
pretend they don't recognise me. It usually gets a grin, if I grin
first.
--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html
Richard Robinson
2024-04-03 10:39:48 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I shaved mine off a few years ago, I didn't like the look of myself
without it.
Post by Peter
I can't remember the look of myself without a beard. 'twas April 1969 when I
started it.
'70, in my case. There's a *lot* less prejudice now than there was then
(esp. when combined with long hair).

Nicholas D. Richards
2024-04-02 15:03:19 UTC
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
I look like an innocent and cuddly pussy cat with a beard. Whether
tweety pie should trust me with or without a beard, is another matter!

Am I a generous feeder of garden birds or the mammalian equivalent of an
Angler Fish?
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Sn!pe
2024-04-02 22:15:00 UTC
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against
people who are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
Being a zbqrea sort of a wader I hold the opinion that stubble
is the thing in these fine latter days. Accordingly, I do a rough
mowing once a fortnight.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Mr Guest
2024-04-02 22:42:53 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against
people who are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
Being a zbqrea sort of a wader I hold the opinion that stubble
is the thing in these fine latter days. Accordingly, I do a rough
mowing once a fortnight.
Ordinarily do similar. Unfortunately my dear old mum is in hospital with
Covid, so I have to wear masks to visit. Had a proper shave else the hairs on
my throat ratchet the mask down all the time.

Otherwise happy to do the lack of shaving thing.
--
Mr Guest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere
Sn!pe
2024-04-02 22:56:20 UTC
Post by Mr Guest
Post by Sn!pe
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against
people who are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
Being a zbqrea sort of a wader I hold the opinion that stubble
is the thing in these fine latter days. Accordingly, I do a rough
mowing once a fortnight.
Ordinarily do similar. Unfortunately my dear old mum is in hospital with
Covid, so I have to wear masks to visit. Had a proper shave else the hairs on
my throat ratchet the mask down all the time.
Otherwise happy to do the lack of shaving thing.
Sorry to hear about Mum, all good wishes for her early full recovery.

As it happens, Mrs Sn!pe is going in to see the sawbones tomorrow;
she's having a hip replacement. Any cruciate digits for her will be
gratefully received.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Sam Plusnet
2024-04-02 23:16:28 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
Post by Mr Guest
Post by Sn!pe
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against
people who are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
Being a zbqrea sort of a wader I hold the opinion that stubble
is the thing in these fine latter days. Accordingly, I do a rough
mowing once a fortnight.
Ordinarily do similar. Unfortunately my dear old mum is in hospital with
Covid, so I have to wear masks to visit. Had a proper shave else the hairs on
my throat ratchet the mask down all the time.
Otherwise happy to do the lack of shaving thing.
Sorry to hear about Mum, all good wishes for her early full recovery.
As it happens, Mrs Sn!pe is going in to see the sawbones tomorrow;
she's having a hip replacement. Any cruciate digits for her will be
gratefully received.
Digits suitably disposed here.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery - although they seem to be keen on not
letting people lie around afterwards.
Sam Plusnet
Sn!pe
2024-04-02 23:23:00 UTC
Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> wrote:
[...]
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sn!pe
As it happens, Mrs Sn!pe is going in to see the sawbones tomorrow;
she's having a hip replacement. Any cruciate digits for her will be
gratefully received.
Digits suitably disposed here.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery - although they seem to be keen on not
letting people lie around afterwards.
Ta. Yes, she expects to be out on Friday, as soon as she can show that
she can manage stairs. Fortunately her daughter is able to take a week
of compassionate leave to come and help out. I don't think I'd cope
otherwise, dilapidated old bird that I am these days.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Nicholas D. Richards
2024-04-02 23:34:36 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sn!pe
Post by Mr Guest
Post by Sn!pe
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
[...]
Unless it is expressly contraindicated to do so, these days they want
you out of bed and on your pins as soon as possible. There is good
evidence to show that lying still is bad for you.

Unless you are young, they glue the replacement in place so you are good
to go immediately. However a cow worker was only in his late twenties
(his hip joints had ossified - Ankylosing Spondylitis) when they
replaced his hips. In his case he was immobilised until the bone had
grown around the attachment.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Tease'n'Seize
2024-04-03 07:40:35 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
Mrs Sn!pe is going in to see the sawbones tomorrow;
she's having a hip replacement. Any cruciate digits for her will be
gratefully received.
I hope that being an elective, rather than emergency, procedure improves
the chances of a rapid recovery?
Sn!pe
2024-04-03 10:45:21 UTC
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Sn!pe
Mrs Sn!pe is going in to see the sawbones tomorrow;
she's having a hip replacement. Any cruciate digits for her
will be gratefully received.
I hope that being an elective, rather than emergency, procedure
improves the chances of a rapid recovery?
Quite so and yes indeed, it's elective. I'm just back from hospital
having delivering her this morning. Everybody tells me it's a very
routine op. these days but of course every procedure carries some
risk. I'll be very glad to have her home safe again.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Mike Spencer
2024-04-03 19:27:36 UTC
I'm just back from hospital having delivering her this morning.
Everybody tells me it's a very routine op. these days but of course
every procedure carries some risk. I'll be very glad to have her
home safe again.
16 years ago, SWMBO had her hip replaced. Short time in the OR, short
horspital stay, 3" incision, rapid recovery to state far better than
formerly.

Fifteen years later, the prosthesis snapped spontaneously. The only
upside was that it didn't happen while she was descending our late
19th c. break-neck stair. She just fell down next to the kitchen
sink.

But hip arthroplasty *revision* is very different from initial hip
arthroplasty. Three hours in OR, 12" incision, collateral tissue
trauma, almost a fortnight in horspital, slow and as yet incomplete
recovery.

So take care of her. No heavy-impact recreation and like that.

On the topic of surgical *revision*, cardiac pacemaker is another
worrisome instance. A long-time friend had a pacemaker with an
endocardial lead installed ca. 25 years ago. 15-minute surgical
procedure. Never any problems until a valve replacement became
necessary. Pacemaker had to go, now regarded as unsuitable anyhow for
the original diagnosis.

First, specialist endocardial lead removal cardiovascular surgeons spent
3 hours removing the lead. Then they went home and a new team of
cardiovascular surgeons undertook the valve replacement. IIRC, he was
on the table for over 6 hours.

Happy to report that he's made full recovery, is once again flying to
rightpondia for wine and opera. But The *revision* procedure prognosis
beforehand was scary and uncertain enough the he bid all his friends
farewell.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Sn!pe
2024-04-03 20:34:38 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
[hip replacement]
I'm just back from hospital having delivered her this morning.
Everybody tells me it's a very routine op. these days but of course
every procedure carries some risk. I'll be very glad to have her
home safe again.
16 years ago, SWMBO had her hip replaced. Short time in the OR,
short horspital stay, 3" incision, rapid recovery to state far better than
formerly.
[horror story excised, gulp]

I'm very glad to report that surgery went well; the memsahib
is back in her room and the pain relief has not yet worn off.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Peter
2024-04-04 07:45:28 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
[hip replacement]
I'm just back from hospital having delivered her this morning.
Everybody tells me it's a very routine op. these days but of course
every procedure carries some risk. I'll be very glad to have her
home safe again.
I'm very glad to report that surgery went well; the memsahib
is back in her room and the pain relief has not yet worn off.
Good news! Best wishes to Mrs Sn!pe.
--
Peter
-----
Sn!pe
2024-04-04 12:37:30 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Sn!pe
[hip replacement]
I'm just back from hospital having delivered her this morning.
Everybody tells me it's a very routine op. these days but of course
every procedure carries some risk. I'll be very glad to have her
home safe again.
I'm very glad to report that surgery went well; the memsahib
is back in her room and the pain relief has not yet worn off.
Good news! Best wishes to Mrs Sn!pe.
Ta, Peter.
We've just spoken - the pain relief has worn off... [frownie thing]
Otherwise, all is progressing as hoped, with luck she'll be home
tomorrow.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Mike Spencer
2024-04-04 19:02:46 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
I'm very glad to report that surgery went well; the memsahib
is back in her room and the pain relief has not yet worn off.
Excellent. All good. Take care of her.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Mr Guest
2024-04-03 21:25:52 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
Post by Mr Guest
Post by Sn!pe
Post by Tease'n'Seize
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against
people who are bearded.
Well, I don't even like the look of *myself* with a beard
Being a zbqrea sort of a wader I hold the opinion that stubble
is the thing in these fine latter days. Accordingly, I do a rough
mowing once a fortnight.
Ordinarily do similar. Unfortunately my dear old mum is in hospital
with Covid, so I have to wear masks to visit. Had a proper shave else
the hairs on my throat ratchet the mask down all the time.
Otherwise happy to do the lack of shaving thing.
Sorry to hear about Mum, all good wishes for her early full recovery.
As it happens, Mrs Sn!pe is going in to see the sawbones tomorrow;
she's having a hip replacement. Any cruciate digits for her will be
gratefully received.
Oxygen sats happily much better now than when checked at the nursng home
prior to ambukance dash to the hospital. Not sure how things ought to
proceed but hoping slow but sure wins the day.

Of course thoughts also with you and Mrs Sn!pe and hope all goes well.
John Williamson
2024-04-02 14:45:49 UTC
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by John Williamson
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Ahem A Rivet's Shot
[...]
Both versions are plausible, I was just quoting what I was told by the
company sergeant. Then again, what did the Army rules ever have to do
with logic?
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
There are still people around who have a prejudice against people who
are bearded.
True.
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by John Williamson
I assume that them on the oggin and the fly-by-nights were not
expectedto be attacked that way, so beards were and are optional.
Those on the oggin are frequently trained and practice at fighting
fires on board ships, in confined spaces, at sea. The fire fighters wear
respirators. WW1 and WW2 submarines are particularly difficult spaces;
most crews had a high percentage of non-shavers, while at sea.
The seal round a respirator doesn't have to be all that good, as they
tend to provide positive pressure using filtered air which blows the
stuff outwards, or, in extreme cases, compressed air cylinders.
Squaddies have to suck it in through the filter, so you get negative
pressure in the mask. You make a good point about not shaving in
confined spaces, though.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
The Nomad
2024-04-02 15:04:54 UTC
On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:45:49 +0100, John Williamson
Post by John Williamson
The seal round a respirator doesn't have to be all that good, as they
tend to provide positive pressure using filtered air which blows the
stuff outwards, or, in extreme cases, compressed air cylinders.
Squaddies have to suck it in through the filter, so you get negative
pressure in the mask. You make a good point about not shaving in
confined spaces, though.
The requirement for a 'face fit test' (for RPE - respiratory protection
equipment) means even 12-24hrs stubble will (usually) result in failing
the 'test'.

I had a long discussion with a company for whom I sub-contract about it.

The requirement was a knee jerk reaction by a elf protection dept. (within
the civil service) who did not really understand the situation (no
really!).

The discussion revolved around me being 'face fitted' & hence close shaven
on the day. The other party (female obv. but not the H&S dept.) said oh
just shave that morning & then grow it back.

I pointed out the several flaws in that - not least my face would look
like a bowl of 'chopped-liver' if I wet shaved and not much better if by
'lectric.

I won - no 'face-fit', & still, hirsuitly, subbing for them.

Have fun all

Avpx
--
"I name you ... Esmeralda Margaret Note Spelling of Lancre!"
(Carpe Jugulum)
15:55:02 up 10 days, 21:44, 8 users, load average: 0.61, 0.45, 0.44
Nicholas D. Richards
2024-04-02 15:19:57 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by John Williamson
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by John Williamson
I assume that them on the oggin and the fly-by-nights were not
expectedto be attacked that way, so beards were and are optional.
Those on the oggin are frequently trained and practice at fighting
fires on board ships, in confined spaces, at sea. The fire fighters wear
respirators. WW1 and WW2 submarines are particularly difficult spaces;
most crews had a high percentage of non-shavers, while at sea.
The seal round a respirator doesn't have to be all that good, as they
tend to provide positive pressure using filtered air which blows the
stuff outwards, or, in extreme cases, compressed air cylinders.
Squaddies have to suck it in through the filter, so you get negative
pressure in the mask. You make a good point about not shaving in
confined spaces, though.
Nearly. Shaving in diesel powered submarines was (is?) discouraged
because of a shortage of water. The Leftpondians called them 'pig boats'
for good reason. Your nose would tell you if a sub was alongside.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Sam Plusnet
2024-04-02 18:24:37 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by John Williamson
I assume that them on the oggin and the fly-by-nights were not
expectedto be attacked that way, so beards were and are optional.
 Those on the oggin are frequently trained and practice at fighting
fires on board ships, in confined spaces, at sea. The fire fighters wear
respirators.  WW1 and WW2 submarines are particularly difficult spaces;
most crews had a high percentage of non-shavers, while at sea.
The seal round a respirator doesn't have to be all that good, as they
tend to provide positive pressure using filtered air which blows the
stuff outwards, or, in extreme cases, compressed air cylinders.
Squaddies have to suck it in through the filter, so you get negative
pressure in the mask. You make a good point about not shaving in
confined spaces, though.
Confined spaces would make it harder to not 'stand closer to the razor'.

I wonder if matelots still need permission to grow a beard, & get told
to go back to shaving if they can't grow a decent beard?
Sam Plusnet
Hymermut
2024-04-02 19:36:37 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
I wonder if matelots still need permission to grow a beard, & get told
to go back to shaving if they can't grow a decent beard?
That was all down to the ID card photo. If approved you were sent
straight to the ship's photographer.

Most lads grew theirs when they went away on a commission, and shaved
off when they came sailing back to Blighty.

I was the opposite. I shaved off on the way to the Med on the Victorious
in 66, and kept shaving for 18 months. Much coolererer. I regrew on my
way back so that my kids would recognise me, and it's been there ever
since, 57 years and counting.

Gettin' up int' mornin's is hard enough without all that scraping crap.

Tone
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
2024-04-02 19:31:26 UTC
On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:24:37 +0100
Post by Sam Plusnet
Confined spaces would make it harder to not 'stand closer to the razor'.
Confined spaces would make cut-throat razors even less welcoming.
Post by Sam Plusnet
I wonder if matelots still need permission to grow a beard, & get told
to go back to shaving if they can't grow a decent beard?
Contemplation of the combination of high seas and cut-throat razors
probably causes beard hairs to either sprout rapidly or vanish completely as
a defensive reflex.